Edmond Chinese International United Methodist Church (ECIUMC) is a family-oriented church that has rich and active ministries within its local community. ECIUMC is in Edmond, Oklahoma, nearby metropolitan Oklahoma City area where raising a church is both a great commission and an opportunity. ECIUMC conducts distinct worship services and ministries in English and Mandarin and is known for its steadfast commitment to God’s Word and solid Biblical teaching.
ECIUMC is seeking a full-time English and Youth Pastor to lead and manage English worship, Youth programs and activities under the direction of the senior pastor and ECIUMC administrative council.
Position Description: English and Youth Pastor
The English and Youth Pastor is a salaried full-time position with compensation and benefits. We are seeking for God to provide ECIUMC with English and Youth Pastor who sincerely loves people; loves Jesus and has a mature faith in Him. The English and Youth Pastor of the English Ministry will provide oversight and leadership to the English-speaking congregation at ECIUMC. This person should also have strong relational and communication skills at the individual and group level; preferably bilingual in English and Chinese Mandarin; culturally competent; possess organizational and administration abilities; comfortable in computer and media, e.g., audio and video; proficient in social media; and command leadership skills to equip, disciple and empower the leadership team of youth by being the role model in their spiritual walk with Jesus.
- MINISTRY FOCUS:
Provide and direct oversight and spiritual leadership to current English-speaking worship congregation, youth ministry, including but not limited to young adults, and college students. Direct both the English ministries and the youth ministry.
Direct, lead and supervise Sunday school and English fellowship, oversee outreach and discipleship activities throughout the year. Establish the vision, mission, and goals with other church leaders, youth council, pastoral team, and church leadership team.
Preach in English Worship service on Sundays. Enhance English worship experiences on Sundays in partnership with English Worship ministry leadership team. The pastor will need to create a renewed and innovative way to draw and equip the congregation on how to grow spiritually and remain in Christ. Preach at special events or retreat as assigned.
- DEVELOP AND OVERSEE YOUTH SUNDAY SCHOOL, YOUTH FRIDAY NIGHT FELLOWSHIP:
The pastor will develop and oversee the Youth ministry teaching curriculums. Equip Youth Sunday school teachers. Teach Sunday school class as assigned. Plan, supervise, and coordinate programs and events that are aligned to the goals of both ministries. The pastor needs to be biblically relational and passionate to reach the unchurched and get them connected to the church family.
- DEVELOP AND OVERSEE ENGLISH SUNDAY SCHOOL, ENGLISH FRIDAY NIGHT FELLOWSHIP:
The pastor will develop and oversee the English ministry teaching curriculums. Equip English Sunday school teachers. Teach Sunday school class as assigned. Plan, supervise, and coordinate programs and events that are aligned to the goals of both ministries. The pastor needs to be biblically relational and passionate to reach the unchurched and get them connected to the church family.
- DISCIPLESHIP TRAINING:
Provide or promote training opportunities to disciple church members to be followers of Christ and to become disciple makers. Establish discipleship relationships among and between different age groups. Continually identify, develop, equip, and mentor leaders to serve in the ministry.
To shepherd the English Ministry congregation and provide pastoral care, in line with ECIUMC’s overall direction. The English Ministry comprises the following: English-Speaking families, youth, young adults, and college students. To nourish the English Ministry congregation through engaging, biblical, and Christ-centered sermons/teachings which lead them into spiritual transformation. To demonstrate care for and counsel to the congregation’s spiritual well-being through various ways, including but not limited to engaging in-depth conversations or visitations, calling, emailing members, etc. to individual members as the needs arise.
To maintain up-to-date English Ministry membership, email aliases, and leadership data in the church database. Oversee English worship service, coordinate and attend the ministry’s meetings, and other meetings as assigned. Performs administrative tasks such as developing programmatic budgets, managing volunteers, and maintaining required documentation. To lead and participate in church-wide and English Ministry event coordination. To assist the Senior Pastor or other pastoral staff with ministerial support as the needs arise.
- EVANGELISM & MISSIONS:
Provide, coordinate, and encourage members to serve in the church, communities, or camps. Establish the vision, mission, and goals with other church leaders, youth council, pastoral team, church leadership team. Lead and coordinate evangelism efforts in various schools, colleges, and surrounding community. Coordinate and provide leadership in caring and outreach. Work to increase participation in activities, and devise strategies to attract and retain families, youth, college students, and young adults.
- A born again Christian who has a passion for the Lord and a calling to serve in a multi-ethnic church. Must embrace Christian discipline and uphold the Biblical truth.
- Graduated with a degree in Master of Divinity or equivalent from an accredited seminary. Pastoral experience is preferred / working or involved in a full/part-time ministry in a Bible-based church, with references.
- Experience in cross-cultural ministry or Asian-American ministry is preferred. Must have experience working with people of different cultural background, possess a heart and passion for mission outreach towards international students, families and embrace cultural diversity. Demonstrated heart and passion to serve a diverse community (cultural/generational).
- A motivating team-builder and a dynamic leader. Experienced in serving youth and young adult is a plus.
- Must have vision and a demonstrated ability to plan, develop, coordinate, manage and implement ministry. Must have excellent written and verbal communication, conflict management and computer skills.
- Fluent in English, including reading, writing, speaking, and preaching. Ability to converse in Mandarin Chinese is a plus.
- Must display the ability to work effectively with the congregation, individuals, and volunteers.
- Must be prepared to submit a criminal background check.
To apply, applicants are encouraged to submit the following documents to Rev. Puong Ong Lau, Senior Pastor of ECIUMC at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A CV/Resume of relevant education, experience, and accomplishments, along with the names and contact information of two professional references and one personal reference.
- A cover letter that introduces yourself and states why you think you might be called to this position.
. Personal Testimony which includes your statement of faith, philosophy of ministry, and how you are being called to serve as a pastor.
. Three Letters of Recommendation from prior place(s) of employment or church pastor or leader.
. Two recent sermons (video files or links).
- An interview with the senior pastor and the Staff Pastoral Relations Committee will be established once suitable applicant(s) has been determined.